Sunday, November 7, 2010

Creative Juices Flow

Often, I go reluctantly to places I have committed to many months before...not sure what comes over me...could be the not wanting to leave what I am doing that moment or just thinking I need to be somewhere else...however, I'm so glad I decided to forgo those feeling this time and attend the International Quilt Festival in Houston Texas...all my classes were spectacular and I learned something new in each one!


Started off with Free Motion Graffiti under the tutelage of Alisa Burke who is an artist that likes to break the rules. She introduced us to stamping on fabric, painting on fabric and then cutting out the shapes to applique onto our fabric and using all sorts of found objects in our work.


I started out by stamping all over a piece of fabric and then adding a few splashes of color with more paint (just plain 'ol fifty cent acrylics you can buy at JoAnn's or Michaels) and then journaling a few thoughts with a Sharpie pen:


Later I added some graffiti free motion stitching to the piece:


But, being the good little "Quilter" that I am, instead of adding the letters I had painted during class I cut some fabric letters to applique to my piece:


Now I do believe I need to get out the paints again...what do you think?

1 comment:

  1. Sue, I'm glad you're open to new things...........it's great to be LIMITLESS!!!!! You can join MY limitless group!!!!! :-) Love what you're doing.....you and Debra seem to be on the same train.......different cars......but whizzing along adding new possibilities!

    ReplyDelete